A birdwatcher has a crucial role in spreading awareness and support the process of conservation of birds. The fact that you are a birdwatcher (birder) signifies that you love the avian species. As a bird lover it is your responsibility to attract more people into birdwatching and create awareness about birds as they are a very important part of our ecosystem that needs conservation.
What all can you do as a birder?
- Keep record of your sightings.
- Submit your field observations to record keeping agencies national and/or international.
- Take part in bird counting activities.
- If possible, take part in conservation activities with concerned agencies and organizations. Nature Conservation Society of Nashik
- Publish your observations or writings on birds in newspapers or magazines. If you know someone in the publishing industry, use the opportunity to publish write-ups that promotes the activity of birdwatching and conservation of nature at large.
- Have a website, social media pages etc. talking about birds and promote it among friends and other people around you. You never know, a single article or a single photograph shared can plant the seed to creating a new ‘Birder’ serious about conservation of the species.
- Organise bird watching trips with friends. Not necessarily a whole-day trip. Promote the respectful act of ‘birding’ and promote nature conservation.
- During birding do keep your actions in control following proper birding ethics so as not to destruct bird habitats.